A couple of nice quotations

Teachers have three loves: love of learning, love of learners, and the love of bringing the first two loves together.

Scott Hayden

Once she knows how to read there's only one thing you can teach her to believe in and that is herself.

Virginia Woolf: Monday or Tuesday

Sunday, 19 May 2013

Week 7

This has been a busy week, both with this course and at work.

Early in the week I read texts about learner autonomy and one-computer classroom. I spent more time on the latter topic as I found it somehow closer to heart and also because I couln't open all the links given on the learner autonomy. Anyway, both topics gave a lot of new ideas.

Learner autonomy is actually something we often discuss in our teachers' lounge at work. For some reason, there seem to be age groups that are less autonomous leaners than others when they start high school studies. It would be interesting to know what the reasons are since we get our students from the same comprehensive schools (or junior highs) every year. For instance our current first year students seem to a lot less motivated and autonomous on average than the precvious age group was a year ago. If I believed in astrology, I'd blame the stars and planets, but since I don't, there has to be another explanation, still unknown to me and my colleagues. ; )

Besides reading texts this week, I hve also gained two great partners for the peer evaluation of our projects, Monika and Rosmery. Thank you both for including me in that co-operation! I worked on several evenings on the first draft of my project report and I e-mailed it to my partners last night. I'm very nervous to see what they think of it.

Oh, one more thing I've learned about this week was Padlet. That seems like a great way ofsharing information, links, assignment instructions etc with my students. It is really high on my list of tools I will start using during the next school year.We use Moodle in our school but I have found using it a cumbersome so Padlet and blogs could open up whole new digital ways of activating my students online.

Srping or actually summer has started in Finland. The last couple of days have been summery warm (+18 - 23 degrees Centigrade) and all the flora is growing so fast that one can pretty much see it happening! Only two weeks until summer holidays start here!

 
The photo was taken by my 8-year-old daughter a couple of days ago.

4 comments:

  1. Hello Tuula,
    Your draft is so well done that it seems to me you are ready to present it!
    You really got your students to participate actively in your project. I can assure you that they will remember you as a high-tech teacher since you made them turn in their works online.
    Since, as you mentioned in your draft, he topics of that specific course are the media, technology, science and health I think that your choosing newspaper articles was a great way to go. I am sure that your learners are now motivated as they have read real materials and understood them. Moreover, they had been able to summarize and express their own opinions about these important issues.

    I will send you back your draft with minor corrections tonight.

    Enjoy the beginning of Summer!

    Rosmery from Bolivia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rosmery!

    Thanks for your extremely positive feedback! You made my day!

    Have a good new week!
    Waiting to read your report!

    Tuula

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tuula,

    I have not had time to go through your draft yet, but after reading Rosmery's comment and knowing you, it must be done really great.

    I wanted to finish mine last Thursday but got distracted by some school issues and could not concentrate on it. So I started on Friday and did not finish it then. I need some things to resolve tomorrow when I come to school after such a long time.

    So I will send you my feedback later next week because I have to finish mine first and I am very busy whole week.

    As for being partners in our "project exchange", I have to express my pleasure to work with you and Rosmery because you both are the teachers I love working with.

    Monika

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mo ika,

    I can only imagine how busy you must be after such a long time off from work so don't stress about the feedback on my report!

    Take care!

    Tuula

    ReplyDelete