A couple of nice quotations

Teachers have three loves: love of learning, love of learners, and the love of bringing the first two loves together.

Scott Hayden

Once she knows how to read there's only one thing you can teach her to believe in and that is herself.

Virginia Woolf: Monday or Tuesday

Tuesday, 9 April 2013

Week 2

Websearching

The Internet is soooo full of materials I could use if only there was time to search, test, evaluate...
I've looked through more than ten of the links given in this week's material and I still have at least another ten that I've marked on the list as sites I'll have to have a closer look at.
Here are just a couple of ideas I got when checking out some of the links:

- USAgov - that will be useful together with http://cencus.org/ when writing essay instructions as we sometimes make the third years students analyse statistics in their essays

- I will use Hot Topics and IDEA Portal for discussion courses

- American Memory will be a gold mine if we ever have time to do projects on topics related to American history and I will definitely ask my colleague (a history teacher) whether he knows that site

- National Science Digital Library will be very helpful on two of my courses, those covering science and technology and environmental issues

- I also found the Unrepresented Nations and Peoples Organisation site interesting as well the couple of sites recommended for searches concerning arts; I'll have to look at them more closely in the autumn when I teach courses with global and cultural topics.

- 10x10 looked like a lot of fun! That I will definitely show my students!

When doing all this websearching last night, I also came across a couple of sites that I found useful and/or fun.

- On snopes.com you can search for urban legends and see whether they are true...

- I also found several falsh fiction pages one of which is Flash Fiction Online. I will surely use texts from those sites on my writing course as well as on the course on culture next term.

All in all, searching the web for new sites and materials made me both ecstatic and despaired. So many sites, so little time!!!

I combined country info about Finalnd from the CIA web page with trying out a web tool called Tagxedo. Looks nice, doesn't it!

No comments:

Post a Comment